July 2003

I had a charter scheduled on the Daiwa Pacific for the July 30th. It had been a struggle coming up with enough people, so I picked up the difference. It seemed like I would get someone signed up, only to have another drop out. I even had 2 people who said keep their deposit.

We got down to the boat, but it wasn't there which seemed odd since they were off the day before. Lisa Yanni and I  waited and waited but no Daiwa Pacific. Finally one of our group found out the boat was having problems and the trip was canceled. Jayne offered to line up another boat for the night, but it wouldn't be the same. We went home, very disappointed.


On Wednesday, July 16, I had the pleasure of fishing with Marty Morris on his boat the KEN DAN, a 39' Egg Harbor. Also on board were Mel Appell and Geoff Halpern. Marty wrote a good report as always, so I will include his following my recap. We met at 9pm at the Kona Kia Marina, picked up bait ad were off by 10:30pm. We rotated 1-1/2 hour shifts, so we all got some sleep. I ran the boat from 12:30am til 2am, when Mel came up to relieve me. I went down below and crashed until 5am when I woke up because I heard the engines slow down.


Time to put the jigs in. I put out my favorite black and purple 'catchy' lure. Marty had two black/purple Zukers with neon green heads out long and a third rod with a purple Yozuri rapala in close. At 6:40, one Zuker went off, followed by the 'Catchy' jig. Marty took the Zuker and I brought in the 'catchy'. Mel and Geoff cleared the other two lines and got the bait rigs going. There were boils at the back of the boat and they both got bit. I had an Iron Man #5 on my Trinidad 20 for a possible bluefin, so I threw it out. On as short drop, it was picked up by an albacore. I got that fish in, then collar hooked an anchovie on a #2 hook on 20 pound line. Instant bite. After I landed that fish, I tried a channel island Fish Trap for 2 casts and no fish. I switched back to bait and got 9 more fish, getting bit as fast as I could get a bait in the water. It was awesome. It was one of those times where I felt I was at one with the ocean. By 7:30 we were done. Oh, by the way, Marty does bring the bananas for good luck.


We stopped catching albacore after hooking a couple of blue sharks and shifted to Marlin jigs, trolling inside on the worm bank. Then we started seeing lightening that was over the water not too far away, maybe 5 miles. One flash was really close, at about 'two-one thousand' - too close. We pulled the jigs and headed back to the west. We were in rain, so we headed north where Harry Okuda reported that storm had passed.

 Once we got to the lower finger we put the jigs out again, but no takers. We did that for a couple of hours and then pulled the lures. Mel and I set up to clean the fish, which filled 2 ice chests.
I entered my largest Albacore into the Marlin Club's July Fishing contest. It weighed 23.6 pounds and is the largest of the 3 fish listed.


Wednesday fish report:

Those of you who follow the fishing reports from one site or another or simply look at the fish counts should be aware of some excellent fishing going on this past week south of San Diego below and inside of the "Inner" Bank in the 72 to 85 mile range. The sport boats have registered some great counts and the season is truly in full swing. Scattered reports of dorado and YFT keep filtering in and, of course, the reports of the Gorilla-sized BFT keep us on all edge. And now, of course, the reports of the 1st Marlin catch - or was it a release - or were there 2 fish? But several fish have been seen down there in the albacore grounds and a few bites also reported. Also, "lots" of swordfish are being seen in the green water closer to the beach. (P.S. a spotter plane working for the swordfish boats reports seeing many marlin off Colnett.)

With all this going on we of the Ken-Dan decided to try the Albacore fishing, limit out early, and check out the "Worm" (aka "Peanut") and Banda Banks with marlin lures adragging.

Using the always accurate reports from our guru, Bob Vanian, we headed for the 72 spot with good reports from Tuesday as well as reports that the sporties were working in the 85 mile range that day. We (Geoff Halpern, Dennis Albert, the Marlin Club website master, and Mel Appell, one of the hotshot standouts from that center of hard core angling out of Marina Del Rey, the Del Rey Yacht Club Anglers) put the jigs in about 0515 and just kept going south along with several of the sport-boat fleet. An hour later we had enjoyed a hot breakfast, were well relaxed, and still going south. Not too much bird life and only a few scattered bait marks. By 0630 we could see several of the sport fleet up ahead showing signs of dead in the water, birds began to show and at 17/50 at 0640 we got a double. That was about 83 miles 153 - give or take.

Less than an hour later we concluded a 24 fish bait stop (i.e. limits plus). 83 miles, fish for only one hour, and done for the day. But what an hour. Once again super anchovy bait. We took three scoops and probably used less than a half. The fish were from the high "teens" to the mid 20's. Great fishing, mostly taken on 20 pd. line. Interestingly, the sport boats - 8 or 9 - were all packed in a less than 2 mile radius.

So out came the marlin lures, prepare the drop-back bait, and off towards the Worm Bank we went. We found lots and lots of bird life just outside and on the bank, but also found very ominous weather pushing out from land with many lightning bolts hitting the water much to close for comfort. As a result, we didn't stay there long, for we pulled in the lines and ran back to the south west watching the rain squalls on the radar. We made a big circle around and headed back up the line. We headed up to the Banda Bank where the water was like 66.2, but green, lots of kelp, no life and hw finally headed north for the comforts of home.

Keeping this part short the Customs department is trying to tell us that EVERYONE returning to US waters from Mexican waters, even though not picking up anyone or anything, not going ashore, etc, etc, etc, MUST clear customs upon entering US waters, even if you are from Washington, Marina del Rey, Newport, etc. There are some very stiff fines for being caught not doing this.
They claim that they will have personnel to handle week-end and even tournament times. We stopped last week and were in and out in about 10 minutes. We stopped today and wasted 90 minutes (i.e. an hour and a half) before they showed up and let us go. They took all the information over the phone and still had to pick up the filled out form. We will be pursuing this further.

And now - about those Marlin -------- as the late Gary Jasper might have said: "We'll just have to wait and see." Marty

We entered Lisa's picture into the 'Let's Talk Hookup' Yamaha Photo contest.....

Al Lisa and I went fishing on Al's boat. We debated on going for Albacore but we got some bad signals so we stayed local for the sand bass. The sand bass bite started slow, then picked up after the tide change. We had plenty to keep us busy.

And the water was like glass...


All the while we could hear the private boaters calling each other in on spots after they got their limits. They were getting double, triple, quadruple and 'whatever continues to come after that' hookups on the troll and bait fish to boot! Man we wished we had headed out there, but we would have been pushing our range.

What a difference a couple of days make. I was fishing with Al on his boat the HIDEOUT on July5th. I dropped John and the gang off a the airport at 5am July 5th. On the way, I realized I didn't have my boat key so I couldn't get my rods. I check with Al via cell phone and he already left Oceanside. He had three rods on the boa and we would share. I thought I might be able to get in the security gate and 'break in' to my own boat. I was running a little ahead of Al so I went by my boat, but no one was moving due to 4th of July festivities. So I gave up. I met Al at the launch ramp and he suggested we just run over there in his boat. Perfect. There was a slip empty down a few from mine, so Al parks the boat when I get my stuff.
When I comeback, Al is talking to Greg Rogers from EN FUEGO which is the boat he parked next to. I had Lisa take a picture of his boat in the slip on Thursday when we were coming back in. Greg told us the Sand Bass were biting real good at 32.31-117.11, as he had reported to 976-bite. He had fished the 4th with a mutual friend, Tom Cahill and the boat also landed a White Seabass and a Yellowtail. We chatted for a bit and then took off.



We picked up a mix of bait and head through the fog. It was heavy in the harbor all the way to our destination. Warship #7 appeared inside the channel at a pretty good clip through the fog, The Coast Guard didn't chase anyone out of the way.

We stopped at the bait receiver and picked up a mix of sardines and anchovies. We went to Gregs numbers and anchored up. Al immediately picks up a nice bass of a sliding sinker rig. Then he hooks a small shark. We picked up a couple more small bass, but a lot of sharks, so we moved to where the fleet was and 32.32-117.11. We anchored again and picked up one shark. We heard one guy saying they were eating plastics on the troll. So off we go. Al was getting bit regualrly on a trout pattern Fish Trap, but I wasn't getting anything on m Rebel lure. I switched to a smaller one then got bit. More important there were great meter marks in that spot, so we anchored up. Now we were getting bass like crazy. We let most go, only keeping the larger ones. We ended up with 11, releasing twice that many. What a day. I wished we could have had that bite in Thursday.


Thanks Greg....

I had the pleasure of fishing with my son, John, my grandchildren Stetson, Shelbi and Parker and Lisa on July 3rd. We weren't in any big hurry so we all met at the boat at 7am. We picked up bait and proceeded to head out of the harbor. On the radio, I heard there was a submarine and warship coming in the harbor. Sure enough, as we cleared the bait receivers two tugs were towing in the sub, with the warship right behind. Since they were going to be taking the sub to the normal place, it was best if I crossed the channel and went on the outside of them. As I got to the red buoy, the Coast Guard chased be down, basically telling me to stay out of the channel and slow down as to not generate a wake when the ships pass by.

Once they were out of our way we picked up speed and cleared the point. Looked like a heavy fog bank rolling in as I cleared the #4 red buoy. All of a sudden as the fog bank was approaching us, I heard a loud horn blast from a ship. Yikes. I pulled up the radar and while it was warming up we strained to see through the fog. All we could see was the mast above the fog...  If you look real hard, you can see it. The fog over took us, the radar showed me where the ship was and we basically stayed outside the channel. Whew!

We fished a rocky area in the fog north of the #3 buoy. John and Lisa each picked up a ling cod. I hooked something nice an handed the rod to Stetson. He fought it for a little bit, but it got off. When he brought the hook up, the bait was still there and it was chewed pretty good, so it was probably a halibut or a ling cod. 

The wind came up so I decided to try to head out of the fog. The kids weren't having a good time. Stetson and Shelbi kept chumming over the side and wanted to lay down. Parker didn't get sick, but got bored with the slow action, so he wanted to take a nap too.

Went down to Imperial Beach, but the water was really dirty there. I headed back up to Point Loma and fished of the Jetty for a little bit. The fog hung off the point, so we decided to call it a day. As they say, "The worst day of fishing is better than the best day of work", and it was.